MACLA stands in solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter
MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana Official Statement of Solidarity
CUltura power fellowship
As we begin 2021, we are living in unprecedented times. Four concurrent situations – a global pandemic, violence against black and brown people, an economic recession, and an environmental crisis threaten our shared existence. At the same time, our artists offer us hope, inspire curiosity, build empathy, and generate action towards building a more just and sustainable world. It is within this context that MACLA has developed our Cultura Power Fellowship.
MACLA is looking to support ten Bay Area-based Latinx artists who are actively working to advance a more just and equitable society through their artmaking practices. MACLA will prioritize Latinx artists whose work intersects environmental, racial, and social justice. The fellowship will support artists to create new work, deepen bonds among the fellowship cohort, and offer our community insight into the work of the selected artists. MACLA is interested in working with artists who want to be in community with one another and engage our broader community.
Cultura Power Fellowship will support the local Latinx artist ecosystem and offer MACLA as a platform to amplify their work along with a financial honorarium. Three of the artists selected will have a focus on the intersection of art and technology, including new media art forms – augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), computer animation, gaming, interactive computer installations, digital graffiti, etc.
MEET OUR FELLOWS!
Anna Lisa Escobedo
About Anna Lisa Escobedo, She/Her/Ella/Ellas. She is a visual artist, muralist,
About Carolina Cuevas is a Cuban-American artist currently based in
About In elementary school, Cesar’s mom noticed two things, how
About Dignidad Rebelde is a creative collaborative space organized by artists Jesus
About Ivan AKA Ivan Del Acordeon – Born and Raised in ESSJ
About Born and raised in Cuba, DJ Leydis combines contemporary hits with
About Maribel Martínez is a Queer Chicanx of P’urhépecha heritage. She is a
About Patty Botello was born in Los Ángeles, California. At
About Praba Pilar is a diasporic Colombian Muisca/mestiza artist and scholar
About Yosimar Reyes is a nationally-acclaimed Poet and Public Speaker.
We are also very proud to announce an additional 20 mini-grants to create new work awarded to the following local artists:
Alex Martinez, Alex Hernandez, Jessica Gutierrez, Emilie Rodriguez, Javier Mendoza, Adrian Delgado, Ivan Paredes aka Jahny Wallz, Matt Gonzales, Sebastian Gomez Biggeri, Maricruz Mendoza, Angela Cubillan Arteritano, In Lak’ech, Crystal Mendoza, Flavia Elisa Mora, Elizabeth Montelongo, Lee Oscar Gomez, Elizabeth Blancas, Tulio Flores, Angel Luna, Stephanie Barajas
- Support Latinx artists to create new work.
- Participate in monthly artist cohort conversations.
- Share work, artistic process, generate conversations, etc. on MACLA’s online platforms, façade,
and in-person in our gallery and stage to engage our community.
- Ten fellows will receive $10K over the six-month period March – August 2021
- MACLA will award $500 mini grants to 20 local artists to commission new work that is sharable
through our social media or our platforms.
- Latinx artists who are working at the intersection of environmental, racial and social justice.
- Afro-Latinx, LGBTQI+ artists will be prioritized.
- Artists currently living in Santa Clara County will be prioritized; applications from the
surrounding Bay Area counties (Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo) will also be accepted.
- MACLA will support artists working in a variety of media, at least three artists selected will have
an active practice that intersects art and technology.
- The fellowship is not open to artists who are currently enrolled in college or university program.
- February 12, 2021 – Program announced, apply here
- February 18, 2021 at 6 pm – Informational webinar with Maryela Perez, MACLA’s Curator &
Public Program Manager, reserve your spot here
- March 1st, 2021 at 12:01 pm Application deadline
- March 8th, 2021 Fellows announced
- March TBD First Fellowship online gathering
- Cultura Power Fellowship programs at MACLA March – August 2021
Know an Artist?
Help us spread the word by sharing with the links below!